Peaceful Town and Piracy Regulation

Organize, recruit and plan with your Nations here. For the Official Server only.

Peaceful Town and Piracy Regulation

Postby Faine » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:24 pm

So, as some of you may know, after the map reset it is my intention to set out with my crew to create a neutral town, for both trade, and safe docking in general. The co-ordinates of this town won't be released for a little while so we can set up, but almost anyone who asks me in game, or on the forums, can get them, so no one is left out. The goal is for this town, and the surrounding area to be piracy-free. The exact size of the surrounding area will be based on how huge the map is and such, but the goal is to make it that ships leaving can try and find a safe way out of the safety zone. Beyond the safety zone I'd like to enforce further rules on piracy. Obviously the total elimination of piracy is nearly impossible, and as such I propose we arrange a way to commit "legal" piracy.

Here's the gist of it. Captains wishing to be pirates will submit a ship ID for a Letter of Marque. This basically authorizes them to commit piracy beyond the safety zone without fear of reprisal at the neutral city, provided the follow the rules that are outlined. Rough rules are as follows:

1. All pirates must identify themselves in the course of piracy.
That isn't to say you have to announce yourself prematurely, an ambush is completely acceptable, and obviously in the heat of battle typing an announcement is hard, so this one is pretty lax. Ideally the identification will be given as soon as the fight starts, so that the ship under attack can properly decide how to react, however this is an ideal, and so long as the identification is given at some point this is fine. This is mostly for the purpose of avoiding misunderstanding, so those who have been attacked don't try and report the attack to the city. If the raided party doubts the pirates claim, a single representative is to be allowed aboard to check the Ship ID.

2. Raided ships be given a chance to surrender, and if the surrender is accepted, are treated well.
This is pretty simple, if after the identification, or during the fight the enemy ship surrenders, accept the surrender, and take whatever goods you're after. I would recommend not taking everything, if you want the ship, take the ship and leave the crew with a dingy and the contents of the crates. If you wanted the crates, leave them the ship. If you only wanted materials off the ship, take that and leave everything else. Obviously not essential, but it helps smooth over the dealings. Regardless, under no circumstance do you leave them stranded, or force them back to spawn if the surrender is given.

3. Honour deals of exemption.
Ships will be given a chance to purchase immunity from pirate raids. This will be based on ship ID alone. If you attempt to raid a ship, and they claim immunity, leave them be. If you doubt the claim you may send a single crew member aboard to check the Ship ID.

4. Do not fight with pirates who bare the Letter of Marque.
All pirates with the Letter are supposed to be honourable, if you doubt their honour find proof. No in-fighting.

5. Assist in the capture of "illegal" pirates.
If a pirate ship is identified that doesn't bare a Letter of Marque, it is the duty of pirates with Letters to hunt them down and bring them to justice.

Okay, those are the proposed rules. If anyone has any questions or suggestions, feel free to post them below. I'd love to see if people are interested in bringing this to light.
Faine

Re: Peaceful Town and Piracy Regulation

Postby ClumZy » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:32 pm

+1, to everything !
This could lead to some cool RP, and a neutral city is desperately needed ;)
ClumZy

Postby DocVoston » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:18 am

lol "legal" pirate
uh ?, What's cooking Doc ?
DocVoston

Postby Quirky » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:53 am

Honestly I'd love to set up a little neutral area for people but I think you'll find on the inter webs there are certain people that just don't care. For that reason I could see it being torn asunder based on a few of the "groups" I've heard about who really have no respect. Best of luck tho :)
Quirky

Postby Faine » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:38 am

Well yes, of course there are people who'd want to ruin it. That's why we need everyone who supports the idea to pitch in and work together to enforce the rules. That's how society works!
Faine

Postby CynicalJoker » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:56 pm

I wouldn't mind helping with building and such! I'm pretty sure the others in my crew wouldn't mind either, though, they'd probably want to join in on their own accord. If you need any help, just let me know wherever.
CynicalJoker

Postby Quirky » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:01 pm

CynicalJoker wrote:I wouldn't mind helping with building and such! I'm pretty sure the others in my crew wouldn't mind either, though, they'd probably want to join in on their own accord. If you need any help, just let me know wherever.

I always am, I guess you've not seen my Hangar :P Although if I was to join in I'd be a bit OCD about the layout/design, if you're going to do it you need to do it properly!
Quirky

Postby killerx243 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:45 pm

Your trying to put rules on the ruleless, it is just going to bite you in the end.
killerx243

Postby Gamp » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:54 pm

First off: I am Sky Shark, but hear me out.

'Legal Pirates' this term reminds me of 'Jumbo shrimp'. while the pretense to the desire this fallacy to exist is admirable it is just impossible to do unless the game itself changes specifically to support this. Pirates are called pirates because they get the jump on less defended vessels and (in the simplest of terms) wreck their shit, take the booty and run off. Now taking afk ships is a whole different matter so lets not include that at the moment. Now you guys might say that then Ben should just code in some ranking and alignment systems, or at the least impose a community created system like this to regulate what everyone does, but to me at least, doesn't that seem boring? Sure for the beginning it'll be fun, everyone will be able to create and save ships and make their wildest fantasy. Sure i bet you'll have fun parading your ship through the server, watching the newbies look in awe and just maybe you might scheduled a battle with another player and fire cannons for 5 mins then stop when your titanium starts to crack, but like i said that will only last for so long. With that kind of system, people get bored very quickly, especially the mid level gamer who isn't hardcore but not casual by any means. They want something dynamic, something that makes them care about what they do in the game , something that makes them say this isn't JUST minecraft with a mod slapped on it. So what defines this game so far? Ships and crews. In the world with a big neutral city and lots of regulation most players will have no desire to join up with someone else on a ship, and why should they? all they have to do is go and gather resources on a little 2 thruster ship and then go back to the city to work on their masterpiece No need for anyone else to help build or defend the ship or upgrade the ship as it flies through the dangerous world, cause who would ever let their masterpiece leave that safe haven. Crews would be few and far in between thus destroying a core dynamic of the game. Giant sandbox game-esque ships would dominate the safe zone with one man crews never coming on again until a new update and then logging off soon after. The threat of unregulated piracy keeps the player coming back and keeps the events of the game interesting. But still there are many better ways than paralyzing regulation to protect the traders and still keep the game from becoming an artificial sandbox game. Have some players build big warships but fight for the traders as navy ships or have small little safe zones that cant be camped at for more than a few hours. Now these things are very hard to do in the current build of the game, but just a few things would need to added, ie: flags for whether your a pirate or not, a system to protect ships whose crew is afk, and better defensive items for ships. As of right now this game can go down 2 paths, one where we force it to become a boring sandbox with many artificial barriers and rules, or what we have all wanted since we were young watching minecraft unfold: a dangerous yet balanced game with airships, with completely player driven society and economy and of course adventure with newly made crewmates.

The whole game is still very new though so I might be very wrong and Ben might have radically different plans for it, but as of right now, this is what we got.
Gamp

Postby Quirky » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:56 pm

I've always liked the Flag idea and hope they implement something like that however till that happens we could always establish a simple set of "Flags" or markings to display on a ship i.e. using a 3x3x1 design using various easy resources in certain locations so you can easily distinguish between friend and foe.
Quirky

Next

Return to Nations