Clamps and JumpDrives

Reports any bugs you find here. Please read the rules for reporting bugs, so we can make the best effort to fix them. Please also check the below bug tracker if your bug already exists. Duplicates will be deleted and ignored. Do not bump.

Clamps and JumpDrives

Postby Kliphr3a » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:46 am

Hey Ben, Was playing the new update and was testing the new blocks and here are my findings:

Power Clamps:
- The model is slightly smaller than it should be, and when placed horizontally, they dont clamp with flush blocks as theyre too short, but regular clamps do. (flush meaning the block spacing is normal)
- They only spread power to one ship. So if i clamp a ship and then clamp another ship on that ship thats clamped the power wont be transfered through all three, which makes power-transfer between megaships useless if it only spreads between two parts.
- This isnt a bug, but if you could program chain clamping that would be cool ;0

Jump Drives:
- No matter whats put in the destination, it wont activated. Not even on route, or while piloting the ship. is there a certain way to activate them?
Kliphr3a

Re: Clamps and JumpDrives

Postby Kliphr3a » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:51 am

Never mind about the jumpdrive, im an idiot
Kliphr3a

Postby MrBenjammin » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:51 pm

Jump Drives require 300 power in order to jump, so that is likely what's stopping you from jumping. If the power clamps aren't sharing across all ships that's a bug. Although they definitely do locally for me, so I'll have to investigate it. Chain Clamping is too expensive physics performance wise so that is not planned.
Developer of Sky Nations
@MrBenjammmin
MrBenjammin
Site Admin

Postby MrBenjammin » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:05 pm

So I tested the power sharing locally and it works correctly. Both extending capacity with Power Cells shows across 3 ships and increasing generation with Mass Generators works(make sure you turn the Mass Gens on, they default to off). I have 2 ships Power Clamped to one ship. Be aware they also inherit the power usage of all the other ships. I'm not quite sure what setup you have so I'll need to recreate it I think to work out what's wrong.
Developer of Sky Nations
@MrBenjammmin
MrBenjammin
Site Admin

Postby Kliphr3a » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:24 pm

Ill send you an email with some screenshots ive compiled
Kliphr3a

Postby MrBenjammin » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:19 am

Thanks for the email. Ships can't be clamped in chains like you have in the screenshot. A ship clamped to another ship cannot have active clamps on. Once a ship is clamped, you cannot clamp other ships to that ship. Instead you can clamp ships to the ship its clamped too like this:

Hopefully that makes sense, haha. So in the above screenshot, the top ship, cannot clamp another ship to it. But the bottom ship can.

Also worth noting to avoid exploiting Energy Wells through power sharing, they follow the same rules as with a single ship. Only one is active at once during Power Clamps.

Edit:
Infact if you managed to clamp 3 in a row, then that's actually a bug. Which I'll need to fix. Do not jump with chains like that as it will likely break the ships. Should be fixed for the next Server restart.
Developer of Sky Nations
@MrBenjammmin
MrBenjammin
Site Admin

Postby Kliphr3a » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:38 am

Actually one of my biggest ships is made because of that chain. you have to reverse clamp everything to make it possible, and they do function and jump normally. it has like 8 attached ships in a big square chain, and i have another one im in the progress of making on a grid ive produced.
Kliphr3a

Return to Bug Reports