hmm idea for big door construction

Got an idea? Post it here. If it's detailed, feasible and fits with the games theme. It might make it into the game!

hmm idea for big door construction

Postby Illusionii » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:54 am

warning wall of text incoming

ben remember that elevator system i asked about in game awhile ago...

i hade an idea that one can use that same system to raise and lower or move aside ships that work as doors

basic idea i hade is that anything that is only capable of moving up and down or side to side along a specifically built rail can be controlled via a remote control panel

say that you have this ship built as a 3by3 block with a hole in the middle and also 1 of the blocks being a special control block for the ship, depending on orientation of that block relatively to the other 7 blocks the ship can only move along 1 of 3 axis

this said ship "ring" then is wrapped around a rail that connects the control panel that is going to govern the ship to the control module on the ship... and said rail is also providing power from land based generators so one doesn't have to power the ship thrusters using mass generators as they will run out and make the ship unable to move until refuel which might not be in an easy access place sometimes

either way the idea is to just have a ship with a control module that is linked to control panel via a rail... once this base 3by3 with the control module is set up properly on the rail one can then proceed to actually building the door/elevator, or even a laser CNC machine, if one can have the rails as ships to have one land based rail that then is rail for an ship based rail for adding another movement axis and so on... and ofc all of it using land based power to serve as energy

uhm having written this i realize that it is probably never going to happen but still i just wanted to share this idea as i though it was cool
Illusionii

Re: hmm idea for big door construction

Postby WILDCATreactor » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:48 pm

Love the idea, but land-base elevators can just use a flat ship as a manual elevator, obviously remote control wouldn't be an option with current in-game resources, but, you can build a bus-boy version today with just a shaft and car setup.

For moving ships, that sort of thing would only work along the center 'spinal' axis of the mothership, either vertical or horizontal (or pair them together in your deckplan for off center placement), and need an accessible clamp to lock it down at each deck for jump. Vertical cars would be harder to lock down at every floor, and probably only be able to clamp at the top or bottom of a lift shaft, than horizontal cars that can just incorporate a clamp into the roof and latch anywhere on the tram line. If we had round corners or some sort of 'disk' type platform or voxelmetric tool that could be scaled up and down you could just create a rotating bolt lock and clamp setup on the walls or a central (round) pillar running up the center of the shaft. Round pillars would also let me make more compact turret designs that won't jiggle.

So, as far as I can see, the easiest way is to make three new blocks with special behaviors.
Railcar Rail: provides a path railcar drives to travel on, drives merge with rail hitboxes, other blocks cannot merge with rails
Railcar Drive: placed in the same space as a rail, moves attached blocks along a series of connected rail blocks
Railcar Paneling: thin walls and floors/ceilings, does not connect along the 'exterior face' where the panels would abut the wall of the shaft
Railcar Call/Send Pedastel: vertical attachment only, right click 'sends' alt+right click 'calls' (only works with empty hands), brings a railcar drive from the nearest set of rails to the same level as the block this interface stand is placed on; when placed inside of a railcar, works as an 'up/down' and 'stop' instead of normal function

All in all, it's a lot of coding and kinda steps above the kit-bashed semi-steampunk vibes central to the game's charm which are already kinda stepped above by things like the reactor and generator (you can totally have steampunk lasers tho). A steam engine that needs molten rock in the block's inventory and ice in its voxelmetric tank would have been cooler, same as the idea of manned elevators, inconvenient for the lone vagabond, but then again if steam were implemented on the voxel scale, you could probably turn a ship-elevator into a steam-driven piston-car and make steam-pumped timed mines out of an open piston shaft and boiler-detonated ammo crates or something. Same deal for massive doors, those could be steam-driven by block-based piston setups too, you just need more control over what turns a block from additional part and into a separate grid.
-Don't mind me, I just can't stop thinking-
WILDCATreactor

Postby Grzyby15 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:20 pm

The idea is great. It would be wonderful in spite of difficult programming.
Grzyby15

Postby aDisturbedJawa » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:10 pm

The only issue I see with this is the fact that if it can move side to side, or up and down what's to stop a player just building his ship on it and wrecking face with his ability to move side to side without turning? obviously it would need to be in someway limited to the ground for this to work but an easier way to get around it all would be to make it so when a door is open it doesn't count as a block at all. As far as the physics engine is concerned it doesn't exist when open. This would mean you just create a hole big enough for your ship or whatever and just fill the gaps with doors, maybe add a tool to link them all up so when one door is triggered the rest are and then done. You could even add a system or new door type that could take on the texture of another block but could be detected in someway, either when close up it is obvious that the textures don't mesh with the surroundings or it flickers like a holographic panel or there is a detector for them. This would mean that building a hidden base would be a lot easier, and even make a normal base a lot easier too.
aDisturbedJawa

Postby WILDCATreactor » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:42 pm

you can put a ship inside of another ship sideways to give it strafing thrusters already
-Don't mind me, I just can't stop thinking-
WILDCATreactor

Return to Suggestions