game crash when entering spawn sector on com1

Got a problem? Ask for help here.

game crash when entering spawn sector on com1

Postby Illusionii » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:12 pm

Code: Select all
Ett undantagsfel av typen System.OutOfMemoryException inträffade.
   vid System.Object.MemberwiseClone()
   vid SkyNations.World.Chunks.MeshThreadDispatcher.GetNeighbourBlocks(UInt32 chunkID)
   vid SkyNations.World.Chunks.MeshThreadDispatcher.Queue(Chunk chunk, Point3D subOffset)
   vid SkyNations.World.Chunks.SubChunk.UpdateBlocks()
   vid SkyNations.World.Chunks.Chunk.BuildBlocks(Stopwatch timer)
   vid SkyNations.World.Chunks.ChunkManager.Update()
   vid SkyNations.Screens.Gameplay.Update(GameTime time)
   vid Bengine.States.StateManager.Update(GameTime time)
   vid SkyNations.Game1.Update(GameTime gameTime)
   vid Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Tick()
   vid Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.HostIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   vid Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GameHost.OnIdle()
   vid Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.RunOneFrame()
   vid Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.ApplicationIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   vid System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FDoIdle(Int32 grfidlef)
   vid System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
   vid System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
   vid System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
   vid System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
   vid Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.Run()
   vid Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.RunGame(Boolean useBlockingRun)
   vid SkyNations.Program.Main(String[] args)

just ported into spawn and i crashed
Illusionii

Re: game crash when entering spawn sector on com1

Postby MrBenjammin » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:38 pm

Does this happen everytime? From the looks of it and from your other bug report it looks like your PC is running out of Memory from the error. Make sure you have at least 1.5gb of free memory while playing Sky Nations. It might just be that another application is eating up a lot of memory for example a browser with many tabs open.
Developer of Sky Nations
@MrBenjammmin
MrBenjammin
Site Admin

Postby Illusionii » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:32 pm

that is odd then because i got 16gb ram and it wasn't used that much from what i remember, think the usage was around 40%

as in 60% of total ram was available

and no just sometimes... might have something to do with me alt-tabbing in and out of the game tho when i think about it

also "memory" means ram and not graphics memory right?
Illusionii

Postby MrBenjammin » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:28 pm

Yup, I'm refering to RAM not Video RAM. It might be due to alt+tabbing if you run the in game full screen. It's a good job you pointed this out as I hadn't thought of it. Since SN is limited to being 32bit it can only assign 1.5gb of memory(usually actually about 1.2gb). It's a bit tricky to solve as a crash but you can just use windowed mode to mitigate it almost completely. I'm thinking about adding in Borderless Window mode soon so that should be a better solution to fullscreening any way, especially for alt tabbing which most people do(including me) a lot. It'll be faster to switch in and out too!

The reason why it happens if you're interested, is that when you alt+tab out of an app that is designated as full screen it basically empties all of the stuff stored on Graphics card's memory to do with that application. This sometimes specific to drivers and vendors but generally is true. In this case that's a lot of stuff since meshes and textures are all live on this for Sky Nations so it can draw them to the screen fast. So when you re-tab back in it has to remake all these meshes in particular then post them to the GPU to live on that. While it does this, it store's them in RAM in a queue because sending all at once is basically just going to freeze the game up for however long they take to get set on the GPU. So the queue can actually get significantly memory hungry if say you tab a bunch of times in a row within a few seconds, thus sending all these big meshes to the queue. In practice it can be a weird and driver based, as it hasn't happened to me. But it could be that you just happen to be in a super dense area in-game that uses a bunch of memory. Windowed 3D applications luckily don't work like this unless they've been minimized. So it shouldn't happen at all with fullscreen borderless.

Anyway, thanks for the report. If alt+Tabbing seems to be causing it for you I think most likely when I add in borderless windowed mode for fullscreen that should solve it for you. Sorry for the long winded response! I'll look into mitigating what's in the queue when the above happens too.
Developer of Sky Nations
@MrBenjammmin
MrBenjammin
Site Admin

Return to Support