Developer Log 4 - Physics, docking and testing

Check here for official announcements about the game.

Developer Log 4 - Physics, docking and testing

Postby MrBenjammin » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:04 pm

Hey guys, I've just uploaded a developer log on the new physics system I've been working on implementing into Sky Nations and what it means in general. It's a small part of updating movement which is a part of updating combat.

I wanted to get the physics update out today but unfortunately I've had a sporadic internet connection and power due to some damage to the lines caused by the weather for just over a week. So I've not been able to have a test server up for quite as long as I'd like to.

How to try the physics build
If you'd like to pop in and test the new physics out you can by changing the game to the testbranch and logging into the physics test server.

To do that you need to:
1. Right click Sky Nations in your Steam Games Library and click Properties.
2. In the Properties window that pops up choose the Betas tab.
3. In the betas tab there is a drop down menu, choose testbranch and Steam will auto-update the changes.

Note: To switch back to the normal version in order to play on normal servers repeat this process and just choose the defaulr branch.

Reporting Bugs
If you happen to pop on the physics server, if you could report anything that doesn't work as intended to do with the physics that you find on the test server either on the: Sky Nations website forums
Or:
Steam Community Hub

That would be a great help!
Developer of Sky Nations
@MrBenjammmin
MrBenjammin
Site Admin

Re: Developer Log 4 - Physics, docking and testing

Postby Sssuperguy » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:48 pm

How does docking work concerning jump beacons? You would most likely be able to jump while docked (your ship would have limited mobility otherwise) but it would screw with safe systems and SPFs a lot. For example, I could fly into spawn, dock onto the nicest ship there and just fly out with it. Having crew aboard both ships could also make a cool tug-of-war, depending on how steering works while ships are docked together. Lastly, do clamps always point upwards? Can they only clamp to things above them?
Sssuperguy

Postby MrBenjammin » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:21 pm

For jumping, docked ships are pulled through too. For clamping other peoples ships it basically checks if the person using the clamp is of the same nation as the ship is from it's SPF(though it doesn't do this on the test server as it doesn't matter too much). By default they point upwards, like the example in the video. I want to do downwards, forward, left, right and backward too for a bit more flexibility. Though the various directions may have to wait for more important things to get done.
Developer of Sky Nations
@MrBenjammmin
MrBenjammin
Site Admin

Postby WILDCATreactor » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:37 pm

And to think I was about to give up because raiders kept hitting my attempts at outposts every day. Collisions and clamps change the entire dynamic- I can make free-floating turrets.
-Don't mind me, I just can't stop thinking-
WILDCATreactor

Postby Sssuperguy » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:30 pm

You.. Already can do that? Turrets aren't ship items and so the physics or clamps shouldn't affect them..

Also, Ben, I assume that docked ships still each use their own escape drive? It sounds annoying but I suppose you couldn't so much about it.
Sssuperguy

Postby WILDCATreactor » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:00 am

Yes, but now you can make a whole gunhouse proper and put it on a ship- they're technically two or more separate ships that aren't clamped (except when they jump), sure, but the idea is still workable in principle once this collision is implemented.
WILDCATreactor

Postby Sssuperguy » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:41 am

Oooooh.. Turrets as in gun platforms! I'd say more but I don't want people taking my ideas :D
Sssuperguy

Postby WILDCATreactor » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:21 am

Oh, come on, the idea is really easy. you make a dumb-bell shape, 3x3 minimum if you want it really big, that way you can run a 1x1 shaft down the center to get in and out without going through the outside, the section inside the main ship is where you put the power, propulsion, and ammo crates. Generally, I'd say stick with designs that can at least reach speed 1 with two thrusters on, that way all your power is going to managing the weapons and since cannon and lasers can't elevate to aim up or down, traversing sideways is also less important than simply delivering a high volume of fire into an area.

There's a case to be made for half-turrets that access the main body of the ship through a door in the back of the platform when the guns are pointing straight away, perpendicular, to the hull. those can be anchored by a 1x1 dumbbell (3x3 with an access shaft for top and bottom mounts) since all the systems are located in the gunhouse and there is nothing but a 'rivet' of armor and a small ledge coming out from the hull to anchor the turret.

Half-turrets are suited for areas where you only want the platform to have a limited traverse along the sides of the hull or in places where there is no space below to house the vital system and ammo is a secondary room inside of the main ship, whereas full 'sunk-through' turrets are best in positions on the top of the hull where cannon are likely to fall onto the platform. Both are decent mounted along the bottom for bombing.

I actually got into supporting games like this, namely Blockade Runner, simply to design things like turrets after Minecraft inspired me but lacked the features necessary.
WILDCATreactor

Return to Announcements