Peaceful Town and Piracy Regulation

Organize, recruit and plan with your Nations here. For the Official Server only.

Re: Peaceful Town and Piracy Regulation

Postby fakamsmith » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:15 pm

Sounds like my style
fakamsmith

Postby Faine » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:43 pm

Okay Gamp, let me address some of your concerns here as best I can. First off, the safe zone isn't supposed to be a place for people to happily mine all the resources they could ever want ever. If I had my way the safe zone would be stripped bare asap. It's merely supposed to provide someone a fair chance to leave the town without being instantly ambushed. I'm thinking like, 2000 by 2000 kinda thing, just big enough to make it hard for the border to be camped. I don't want this game to stagnate either, but I also don't want to provide an entirely menacing face that'll scare off new players. It's not even like these regulations have to be acknowledged. I do not even for a second expect the Sky Sharks to follow the rules. I also don't expect to be able to completely stop you.

Now, about the regulations themselves, I've tried to make them as nonrestrictive as possible. Under these regulations you can still get the jump on a ship, wreck their shit, take the booty and run off. It just means that somewhere in the process of wrecking their shit one of your crew has to announce your captain and your ID. That's more or less it. If you could point out what part of this is restricting I'd love to hear it. Seriously, I posted this for feedback, if you have an improvement to suggest I'm all ears.

Final point, if someone wants to build a beautiful masterpiece ship and then never ever play, they shouldn't be playing this game anyway. Hell, since you mentioned it, I'll probably include some docking rules against this practice. I don't want this any more than you do.

Okay I lied, one more point, shit like this is exactly what Ben wants. He's stated multiple times the only rules are the ones players can enforce. Would you rather we have absolutely no rules, and the game devolves to nothing but endless chain thefts between pirates, because we've provided no where for anything else to grow, or that we run the risk of over-protecting players and create a boring atmosphere? Cause really, only one of those problems can be fixed quickly.
Faine

Postby DocVoston » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:57 pm

the thing is to find a balance, i don't like the idea of pirate that have to say "hey i'm stealing the shit out of someone" even in the "safe zone" or more like the "territorial control zone", i prefer if : you attack someone in the zone, we can't trust you anymore, and we'll shoot on sight inside the safe zone and send bounty hunters after you, this way things get spicy and the world is not boring, of course the game without piracy will become boring, so if we leave the pirates free to do anything but not without consequences for them, it's better. They want to attack the town ? fine but all the member of the town must get to their ships and help defend too.
uh ?, What's cooking Doc ?
DocVoston

Postby ZorNiFieD » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:39 pm

If you can send me the coords to this city of paradise in game, that would be cool. I'm just going to look, I promise.
ZorNiFieD

Postby ClumZy » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:09 pm

Well the thing is we definitely need a peaceful place, for trade, social activities or just simply to show te beautiful ship you just made.
If you want to be a giant pain in the ass, you could always try to destroy this kind of project, but if that's the kind of people this community is made off, this game won't thrive for long.

The idea is to give players the means to play differently than " LETS FUCK UP SOME SHIP WHILE SPEAKING NONSENSE IN THE CHAT", which is the attitude some players seem to promote.

You can still play like that if you want, but out of the town's area
ClumZy

Postby Faine » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:10 am

Okay so, I'm planning to start building in the next day or two, and I've run into a small snag. Primarily that I'm a terrible designer. So, if anyone would like to throw up designs for the city, please post them here. Could be as simple as a general shape, a way to do a small part of the station, or a giant floor plan with all of the materials we'd need calculated out. Pictures appreciated.
Faine

Postby Nuclear Wizard » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:19 am

Are you looking for something that would be static or something that would be able to move? If its a dock type situation, it would have to be pretty large and thus static.

Anyways as far as the will it/won't it work, I think Faine is trying to say these are rules that would be agreed to by those who choose to partake in the city, not everyone as soon as they logged into the official server. If a big group of pirates decided this was anathema to their causes, they could presumably band together and wreck the project. This is effectively a "you can pirate, but just don't pirate us" situation where you're joining a pirates' (or thieves) guild to where agreeing to the terms gets you certain benefits until you break the rules and trust of the other members.
Nuclear Wizard

Postby ClumZy » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:32 pm

Nuclear Wizard wrote:Are you looking for something that would be static or something that would be able to move? If its a dock type situation, it would have to be pretty large and thus static.

Anyways as far as the will it/won't it work, I think Faine is trying to say these are rules that would be agreed to by those who choose to partake in the city, not everyone as soon as they logged into the official server. If a big group of pirates decided this was anathema to their causes, they could presumably band together and wreck the project. This is effectively a "you can pirate, but just don't pirate us" situation where you're joining a pirates' (or thieves) guild to where agreeing to the terms gets you certain benefits until you break the rules and trust of the other members.

/\ This

I'll log in later today Faine and I'll help you with designing the station, but I don't think we should build it like right now, we should wiat a bit to have the most feedback we can.
ClumZy

Postby Faine » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:22 pm

ClumZy wrote:
Nuclear Wizard wrote:Are you looking for something that would be static or something that would be able to move? If its a dock type situation, it would have to be pretty large and thus static.

/\ This

I'll log in later today Faine and I'll help you with designing the station, but I don't think we should build it like right now, we should wiat a bit to have the most feedback we can.

Fair call, delays shall be made until we get more feedback.

As for Nuclear Wizard's interpretation, more or less correct. Hell, these rules aren't even concrete, if everyone hates one of the rules I'll gladly drop it. It just seems like right now everyone is reading too much into the rules and thinking they're meant to be restrictive, instead of just being an upkeep tool. Seriously guys, more than just "I don't think the rules work" or "I fully support this idea" would be nice.
Faine

Postby Mirarii » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:35 pm

I agree with Gamp. Part of the fun is running and hiding with your ship, trying to protect it from being destroyed. There is a thrill there and without the threat of actually losing something, the game would get very stale very quickly.
Mirarii

PreviousNext

Return to Nations